Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression

Jun 2014

Last week my father passed away. While I miss him I thought I had an objective view given his age (91) and his quality of life. I am suffering from a lot of anxiety and am having a hard time sleeping. My appetite is off and I am distracted by feelings of dread. I have had bouts of anxiety/depression throughout my life and was taking citalopram (10 mgs) in a prophylactic manner which seemed to level off my emotions. But my physician talked me into stopping the citalopram last year. I know that situations like this require time but what should I do in the near term? I am very distracted by my feelings of anxiety and dread and having a hard time concentrating.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take antidepressant Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this problem. First, sorry for your father death. I know, it is a very difficult situation for you, but you should try to keep yourself on the track. Underlying anxiety and depression usually aggravate in stressful condition and for you, this is a stressful condition. So, getting such kind of response is obvious in nature. You can take citalopram for few more day, that would help you to come out of this stressful time. For sleep, you can use low dose benzodiazepine on sos basis. It is important to maintain sleep otherwise it could increase underline depression. Try to keep yourself busy, that would help you to control the depressive and anxious thoughts. In case, you need further help, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression 1 hour later
Thank you for your quick response. Given my proclivity toward anxiety/depression, would you recommend a maintenance treatment with an SSRI, say 10mgs of citalopram per day even after the current situation resolves?
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can take citalopram. Detailed Answer: Hi Main aim behind starting antidepressant is to keep you in track. If you were at 10mg of citalopram, you can start with same dose after psychiatrist consultation. That would help you in current situation and help in maintaining the mental balance. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist