Suggest the medication to prepone periods by a week?

Mar 2016

Hi doctor today is 1st of my periods..I will have my next periods for 25 or 27 days... that wil be 17dec.. 20th is my marriage.. I want to prepone before a week... I wAnt it to be on 10th r 12th dec... what can be the solution?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my guideline:

1) Prepone of period is quite difficult than postpone. It can be done with using hormonal contraceptive pill and certain food stuffs but you can't predict irregular bleeding or spotting after period over. It can hamper your marriage day also.

2) PREPONE of period is done in following way:

a) Birth control pill : You can take combined birth control pill like FEMILON from Day1 of your cycle for continuous 2 weeks on scheduled time. After that, you will stop taking them and get withdrawal bleeding (similar to period) within 3 to 5 days (as you want). Irregular spotting may occur after that which can not be predicted.

b) Food stuffs : Certain food stuffs are to be taken during taking the pill. They include pineapple, papaya, sugarcane juice, chicken, hot milk, broccoli, fennel seeds, salmon fish (rich in vitamin D & calcium), green vegetables (like spinach, brinjal etc), fish or fish oil (rich in omega-3 fatty acid), almonds, sesame seeds, yoghurt dairy product, soy milk, boiled egg, red or black grapes, tofu or paneer etc. These are quite helpful to induce period within expected date.

In addition, you must avoid mental stress and keep bowel habit regular. Take sound sleep and drink more water or fruit juice.

3) MY SUGGESTION: I suggest to postpone or delay your period which is more safe and you will be stress free from irregular spotting during marriage day (if it occur as it is unpredictable). For this, you can take norethisterone pill (like PRIMOLUT-N etc) thrice daily 3 days prior to your expected due date & continue as long as you want (max 2 weeks). You will get withdrawal bleeding or period within 5 to 7 days after stopping them. Next 1-2 cycles may be irregular due to hormonal imbalance. However, it will overcome with the time.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and happy marriage.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Suggest the medication to prepone periods by a week? 3 minutes later
If I have to postpone... how many days before should i start taking PRIMOLUT-N?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

I have already mentioned details in my suggestion. Just go through it and you will understand properly.

PRIMOLUT-N should be taken 3 days prior to expected period due date and continued as long as you want to delay.

Hope, it helps for you. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen