Suggest cause and treatment for recurrent UTIs and yeast infections?

Mar 2013
Hi. I have had recurrent UTIs and yeast infections this last year. This last November I had, next, bacterial vaginosis and then again this last week of Dec 2013 and yeast infection. I finished my medicines and I still am having pain and discomfort in that area. My doctor tested for std's and I don't have any. I've had a MRI to check cancer and I didn't have cancer. So I am wondering what is wrong with my body. I keep going back and he still just keeps giving me RX's and then I get another infection later. But I feel as this isn't normal for someone. Also I wandered if this has anything to do with my RNY surgery in 2011 or my hernia surgery in 2012. If not, what should I be asking my doctor or is there something I should tell him to test for.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Basically, there is an imbalance in your vaginal pH,that is making you susceptible to infections. Please take lactobacillus capsules ( probiotics ) for 2 - 3 months. Have daily curd / yoghurt. Also, is it possible that you are contracting fresh infections from your partner ? A new sexual partner / multiple sexual partners can make you prone to recurrent infections. Get your partner screened as well. Also, please get your blood sugars tested, diabetes makes you prone to infections. I do not see any corelation with your surgeries. Excessive cleansing / douching of the genitals leads to depletion of normal vaginal flora, leading to infections. Avoid rubbing / washing / cleaning vigorously with soaps / gels / douches / cleansers. Just clean with warm lukewarm water and XXXXXXX dry with a soft towel. Change undergarments frequently = stick to cotton panties. Tampons / toilet paper / latex in condoms - all these could be causing the infection, check on them. Please discuss the following with your doctor - 1. Screening for your partner. 2. Ascertain vaginal pH by a simple swab test. 3. Take a vaginal swab in any case to pick up a lingering infection that is flaring up every now and then. 4. Blood sugars to be tested. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.