Suggest an alternative anti-depressant to Celexa

Jun 2014

I have bi-polar illness and slight depression. I'm taking 12.5 mg per day of Olanzapine per day for the bi-polar illness which works 100%. I take 10mg of Celexa for the depression, but get a drunkiness side effect occasionally. Wish to take another anti-depressant drug. Can't take Prozac because it interferes with the Olanzapine. Could you select another anti-depressant instead of Celexa. Kidneys only 30% efficient.
Posted Fri, 28 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sertraline can be used Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query. In your case, due to poor kidney function, i will suggest sertraline as an antidepressant of choice. It has good effect on patient with renal impairment. Less than 0.2% of drug is excreted unchangeable through kidney and metabolism of drug remain unchanged even in kidney impairment. Dosing would remain same and it would not interfere with olanzapine. Rest you can discuss with your treating psychiatrist. In case, you have more query, you can ask. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist