Suggest alternative cure for tennis elbow problem in both elbow joints

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am suffering from Tennis Elbow problem on both my left arm and Right(elbow joints). I have taken some pain killers when pain gets unbearable(orivan 100). I am also applying GEl as well as hot fermentation. Can you please suggest alternative cure?
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Neural stretching exercises will help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The tennis elbow on both the sides can be caused by leaning on your elbows for long periods of time. Fluid buildup in the elbow can also cause swelling that may compress the nerve and cause pain. A direct blow to the inside of the elbow can cause the symptoms. Treatment includes-- Avoid activities that require you to keep your arm bent for long periods of time. If you use a computer frequently, make sure that your chair is not too low. Do not rest your elbow on the armrest. Avoid leaning on your elbow or putting pressure on the inside of your arm. For example, do not drive with your arm resting on the open window. Keep your elbow straight at night when you are sleeping. This can be done by wrapping a towel around your straight elbow or wearing an elbow pad backwards. Painkillers for pain , local steroid injections, using an elastic elbow brace or splinting , nerve gliding exercise, etc. can also help in addition to the regular hot fomentation and the local analgesic gel that you are already using. You may require surgical option if problem persists or the symptoms worsen. Soft tissue therapy can be used to break down adhesions that may be restricting the nerve. Neural stretching exercises are helpful under the care of a physiotherapist. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Suggest alternative cure for tennis elbow problem in both elbow joints 1 hour later
Dr XXXXXXX Tayal, Thanks for response. Actually I am experiencing pain on two elbows at theelbow joint and not on 2 sides as mentioned. My family doctors said painkillers and local steriods is not advisable as it does not cure but only masks the pain. what is your advise? How does the healing process take place and normally how long does it take to heal? Can you please give details of Physiotherapy exercises I can undertake ? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Brief Answer: Do consult an orthopedician for physical exam Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The pain at the elbow joint itself can be due to joint inflammation or tennis elbow. Investigations like X-ray MRI scan and direct examination by an orthopedician will help in proper diagnosis. Local steroids and pain killers are good anti inflammatory agents and these are the first line of treatment in such cases. They do help in decreasing the pathology by decreasing inflammation. These do help in healing. The healing depends on the diagnosis. With proper and regular medicine and physiotherapy improvement is seen in 4-6 weeks. The proper physiotherapy exercises are done after the acute pain subsides and should be done only under the direct guidance of a physiotherapist. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards