Suffering from wheezing, mainly during rainy season. Allergic to dust. Suggest?

Allergist and Immunologist

Suffering from wheezings since 2-3 year old kid. Allergic mainly to dust. Acute wheezings occur 4-5 times a year. Mainly during rainy season.

I would like to know a suitable inhaler . Please suggest the same. I will be travelling often, and an inhaler would help me.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 3 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

It seems you have significant house dust mite and developed allergic asthma over the years. That you worsen during the rainy season would suggest mold sensitivity as well, but all of this needs to be confirmed on skin prick or specific IgE blood tests.
Pulmonary function tests (pre and post inhaler) would give us an idea of the extent of asthma (i.e., how much improvement in lung function after inhaler therapy) and guide us to the type of inhaler you might need.

For emergency, Salbair or Levosalbutamol 2-8 puffs at one go upto three times daily can be used but would mean you require a steroid inhaler daily.
There are several of these including combination of steroid with long acting beta agonists.

Please see a chest Physician or an Allergist for optimisation of asthma control.

Best Wishes.