Suffering from stomach pain. Have cough with sticky mucus. Either constipated or have loose stools. Help?

General Surgeon
Hi i have been suffering with stomach pain under my ribs that radiate thrugh my back sems very deep also i cough up like a very stiky jelly type mucus that when you touch it it pulls out into like long fibers then will g back into a ball i am very tied all the time i am consyipated or verry loose to
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Upper middle or right abdominal pain which radiates to the back is most likely caused by gallstones. The pain is usually triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods, fried foods or alcohol. Nausea and vomiting can be also present. Sometimes pancreas issues can cause similar symptoms.

Coughing up mucus is most likely caused by chronic COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) - possible if you smoke for years or asthma disease. Pulmonary tract infection can associate this conditions.

Constipation and loose stools alternately can be caused by large intestine issues. As you are over the age of 50 colon cancer should be ruled out.

I suggest you to visit your doctor, have abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests, amylase, urine amylase, urine analysis, chest X-ray, spirometry (blow test) and get scheduled for colonoscopy.

In a meanwhile please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, coffee.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.