Suffering from spiking fever, nausea, dry heaves, malaise and fatigue. Neutrophils were elevated. Suggest?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
50 yo woman suffering from spiking fever (103.4), nausea, dry heaves, malaise, fatigue. This has been on and off for months and only my neutrophils were elevated to 18k last week. This has been ongoing, random, for 3 months. No abdominal pain, some joint pain, no respiratory symptoms, no GI symptoms.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 59 minutes later

Fever with increased neutrophil count usually suggest an inflammation.
It can be due to an inflammatory arthritis, for which you may need a consultation with your rheumatologist.

However some more information will facilitate evaluation.

Are you taking any drug currently or in the recent past?
Do you have any exposure to an infected person or a vector of infection?
You have not mentioned about urinary symptoms.
Have you undergone any investigations other than Total and differential counts?

I will be happy to help you, if you will come up with some more information.
Follow-up: Suffering from spiking fever, nausea, dry heaves, malaise and fatigue. Neutrophils were elevated. Suggest? 16 minutes later
Thanks. urine and bowels are fine, no symptoms.

As far as I know, I have not had any exposure, although I was tested for H7N9 upon my return from Taiwan/Japan 10 days ago and the tests were negative.

I have no cough, no abdominal pain. I take Synthroid 175 mcg and Prilosec daily and a few supplements like Vit D, Cal/Mag.

many blood tests were run about 10 days ago, twice. One for Kaiser Permanente and one set for the CDC. All the values were normal (my husband is an MD but he is out of town and not reachable) except the neutrophils. I was having severe joint pain at that time. This bout of fever and nausea is accompanied by only moderate joint pain.

I have a rheumatology appt XXXXXXX 5.

Right now my fever is normal. twenty minutes ago it was 101.
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 8 hours later
Welcome once again.
I can understand your concern.
After going through all your information, I want to suggest you one more thing to consult your endocrinologist in addition regarding your thyroid status. It may give some insight into the cause of fever and joint pain.

At any time of need, contact us. We will be happy to help you.

God bless you.
All the best.