Suffering from intractable constipation. On Miralax. Done colonoscopy

intractable constipation--have been taking Miralax daily for 5-6 years and XXXXXXX am due for colonoscopy end of month and dr said to request 3 day prep but now decided a 2 day is enough even though the last 2 were unsuccesful due to incomplete prep. help!
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Intensify prep

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this intractable constipation. I for real don't understand what the problem could be. Are you on any medications like pain medications that may explain this? What about your feeding habits?

I understand how frustrating it is to not get a procedure done because of a failed prep. I know you are looking forward to being able to get it right at least this time around. Together we would get there.

Generally, a one day prep is enough. Two should just be about okay because a three days prep really exposes you to a huge risk of electrolyte and fluid imbalance. My suggestion this time around would be to eat light and much fibers in the week leading to your scheduled appointment. This in itself would ensure that there is not so much stool left in the bowels and with the prep over 48hours, everything would clear up.

Don't be too worried about the number of days for the prep. If two days should proof insufficient, then adjustments would always be made to help you reach the point where this procedure can be conducted. Becoming to aggressive at times is not always the right ting to do. Be patient with your doctor.

I understand the family history fr bowel cancer is huge. I can only wish you the best with the prep and hope that you get a clean result sheet from the procedure.
I hope that this helps and addresses your query. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Suffering from intractable constipation. On Miralax. Done colonoscopy 16 minutes later
No questions. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you, too!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for following up with me.

I am happy to know you have no further question.

May I kindly suggest that you consider closing the discussion at this time? Please, help us write a short review so that we can ameliorate on the quality of our services to better serve you next time.

Once more, thank you for using our services.
I wish you the best of health.
Dr. Ditah, MD