Suffering from hives on shoulder, chest pain. No relief from allegra, betenesol t. Is this contagious?

HI Doctor, Since the last few days I have been facing serious itching issues all over the body. I was prescribed with
Allegra 120 mg and Betenesol tablets. I have completed the course of medicines but am yet to find any relief. I am frequently suffering from hives on the shoulders and hands. Further, I have started to face chest pains now. Is the condition contagious? Kindly guide me.
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the treatment being prescribed, it seems you are having urticaria. From the description given I presume that you have acute urticaria as you are suffering from itching since last few days. Most of the times urticaria is idiopathic( without any underlying cause). However few of the causes could be any infection( fever, sore throat, dental caries), any medicine, food( particularly sea food, sour food, pickles XXXXXXX etc), pollen, dust, mite, worm infestation etc.
The treatment is usually antihistamine and in resistant cases steroids.
Initially to treat the condition, we give antihistamines in high dose. If not controlled with the same or if its too severe, then only steroids are prescribed? I would advise that you take Allegra 180 mg once in morning and montair- LC in night for two weeks. Both of these are non sedating antihistamine. If not much response is achieved then we can change it to sedating antihistamines as these give better response along with H2 blocker like ranitidine.

As far as chest pain is concerned, it could be due to acidity or could be of cardiac origin as you are also hypertensive I guess. I would advise you to consult a physician to rule out the cause and if required get an ECG done.

Hope that helps. Should there be any other query, feel free to write back.
Follow-up: Suffering from hives on shoulder, chest pain. No relief from allegra, betenesol t. Is this contagious? 21 hours later
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply doctor. My condition has not improved. I will soon start taking the medicines you have prescribed and let you know the results. Doctor, I have two small children at home (9 yrs and 3 yrs) and am worried if my condition would spread to them. Is this condition contagious? Please clarify.

Further, let me know if I should have any diet restriction.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Urticaria is not at all contagious. It is just a hypersensitivity reaction

As far as dietary restrictions are concerned, we usually ask patients to avoid spicy food and sour fermented food like curd, pickle, citrus fruits, idli, dhokla etc. Dairy products, nuts, sea food etc are also implicated for same. However it is always a prudent approach to keep an eye on what you eat and see if it was associated with onset of hives.

Hope that helps. I shall be available for follow up.