Suffering from diarrhea. Taking imodium tablets. Can I take streptoquin and diax medication?

Question
i have justed returned from holidaying in Egypt and used imodium tablets to no effect and whilst there the chemisty recommended that i use the local tablets:
Streptoquin and Diax 200mg (Nifuroxazide) which i didnt, but the imodium works for 24-36 hours and then the problem returns?

What is your advice do i take the streptoquin & Diax tablets?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

It seems that you are concerned about the diarrhea that you are having.

If you are not getting the desired relief with Imodium tablets, then may be it is an intestinal infection which needs proper antibiotic treatment.

You can consult your Doctor and get evaluated including a stool test to rule out presence of parasites, any features of absorption problem in intestine etc.

Do practice proper handwashing technique before eating food. This can also lead to frequent attacks of diarrhea due to infection.

Please do not self medicate yourself as specific antibiotics according to your stool examination will help in early and proper relief.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Suffering from diarrhea. Taking imodium tablets. Can I take streptoquin and diax medication? 36 minutes later
Thank you for your response, i understand what you have said but i have seen a chemisty and the recommendation was the above two tablets:
Streptoquin and Diax 200mg (Nifuroxazide)

You mentioned that i need antibiotic treatment and one of the two tablets is a antibiotic tablet.

My question was it safe to have the above two tablets? as the imodium tablets have not worked.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

Imodium tablets are only for symptomatic relief. They do not treat the infection.

Streptoquin is an effective combination for the treatment of Infective diarrhea associated with colic. It is usually given thrice daily along with Diax 200mg for 3-5 days and if the symptoms are persistent then you must consult your physician for proper treatment.

Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.

Wish you a trouble free speedy recovery.