Suffering from cold, running nose, irritation and sneeze. Can I start MOX?

I am suffering from cold with running nose and sneeze. Irritatation. Can I start MOX 250 thrice a day with telecast l once a day?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 48 minutes later

I will be able to understand your problem better if you could answer few of my questions:

1. Since when are you having these symptoms?
2. Are you running fever?

Running nose with sneezing and nasal irritation is likely to be caused by allergies or viral infection. These symptoms are usually self limiting. Symptomatic relief can be found with use of
a) Steam inhalation using warm water and menthol three times a day for 3 days
b) Topical saline nasal drops - 2 drops instilled into each nostril
c) Antihistamines / mast cell stabilizers.
d) Avoiding dust and allergies
e) Adequate rest; proper nutrition and plenty of fluids.

As far as amoxycillin (MOX 250); this is an antibiotic which has no role in the current illness. You would need them incase you develop high grade fever with your current symptoms.
TeleKast which is a mast cell stabilizer might help you. You may get them prescribed to you by your physician.

Hope this answer your query. Do accept the answer if you do not have any other queries.

Wish you good and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Suffering from cold, running nose, irritation and sneeze. Can I start MOX? 1 hour later
This is ok Doctor, thank you your answer.

But, tell me one thing.. if I can take telecast L.. whereas I have taken one tablet (cold n flu)twice in the day and evening.

Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later
Hi and thank you again,

From what I understand, you have already taken a tablet for cold and flu twice yesterday and now wish to know if it's fine to use tablet telekast L in addition.

Currently the aim of the treatment is to relieve your symptoms (symptomatic relief). As mentioned in my previous reply, it would settle down in a few days.

Both oral antihistamines which are the common ingredients in cold and flu or telekast L (mast cell stabilizer) are useful treatment options. The dose and the need for either or both are based on detailed examination by your physician. Hence I encourage you to consult a physician to get them prescribed to you.

In the meantime as you plan your visit, steam inhalation and nasal drops will benefit you.

Hope this answers your query. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries. Yet, let me know if I missed out on any other concerns.

Wish you good luck and speedy recovery.

Best regards