Suffering from chronic constipation. Given magnesium citrate. Drinking water. Should I be concerned?

HI. I am traveling and have been suffering from chronic constipation. I have tried many over the counter products over the past 2 weeks to try to induce bowel movements-- some worked, some didn\'t. I visited a doctor in South Korea who gave me magnesium citrate (the equivalent of Citroma). He gave me two bottle, and told me to take one, and if it didn\'t work, to take two. I took the first bottle 7 hours ago and nothing happened, so I took the second bottle 4 hours ago. I have been drinking water consistently, but I still haven\'t gone to the bathroom. Should I be concerned? What should I do?
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

There is unlikely to be any problem, if you have no other symptom.
Problem, if any, is indicated by symptoms like – vomiting, abdominal pain, distension..
Not passing stool for a day or two is not of concern in many people, habitually constipated...

For immediate results, a suppository or an enema could be of help in some

Very often, there may not be any major issues and it is from neglect and training – When the bowels want to move, one is not able to go to the toilet for social reasons – upset, unavailability, place, people and so on...; and finally when one does go, the bowels get upset and won’t move!
     For long term, you need to consult a Gastro-enterologist / get examined / may be a colonoscopy is needed to exclude underlying issues. Increasing the intake of vegetables and fibre XXXXXXX foods help by adding bulk / water reduces the hardness...
     Bowel training is important – go to the toilet at a fixed time / may be more than once. Keep trying for a few minutes, even if there is no urge. Over time, the bowel will move at that time!

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck