Suffering from bell's palsy. No improvement by physiotherapy. Suggest some ayurvedic medicine?

Jan 2013

Hi, my name is XXXXXXX my husbund suffered from bell's palsy(rightside) since 20 days the treatment of physiotherapy still continue but yet not shown any effect of movement. can u suggest any medicine to recovery soon, are ayurvedic treatment effected for the same. He loose his confidence level, he feel shame. please help me.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Ayurveda
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 52 minutes later
Bell's palsy is the lower motor neuron involvement of VII cranial nerve. Its etiology is unknown.
Bell's palsy is generally precipitated after URTI and some sort of Viral infection.
As I am allopathic doctor, I have no idea regarding ayurvedic medicine.
From allopathy, Steroid are indicated. Predinisolone 1mg/ kg is indicated and the dose is tapered 5 mg every 5 days. Apart from this you can go for physiotherapy. In 95% cases, weakness improves completely. Remaining may have some sort of weakness and may persist for whole life.
To whom weakness persist or recover completely, this can not be predicted.
It has been observed that if most of the weakness recover with in 7 days then there is high chances of complete recovery.
You should also go for blood sugar level, CT/ MRI scan, Angiotensin converting enzyme level, complete blood count.
You should also consult with physician/ neurologist.
Put your query if you have.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava