Suffering from PCOS. Thyroid and hormonal test normal. Treatment to regulate period?

I am married since last 1 year.My wife suffers from PCOS(polycystic ovary syndrome) disorder and has her menstrual cycle normally at a period ranging 60-90 days. She has tested her thyroid and other hormonal balance and reports are very normal. She got her period last time 9 days back which was after 90 days but except 1st day bleeding, She didn't bleed but only some stains every morning.

My questions are:-

1) What should she do now as she feels bleeding still has to happen?
2) When she would get her normal bleeding which ideally should be between 3-5 days?
3) What is the long term solution for this?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 7 hours later
During PCOS irregular & scanty periods are quite common.
First line of treatment is weight reduction by avoiding heavy & fast food & doing regular exercise.
However if still periods remain irregular, then medications are given.
Right now, to regularise periods & to stop spotting, your wife should start hormonal pills like krimson-35 for 21 days for 3 cycles.
But before starting medication, she needs a routine health check up & pelvic examination by a gynecologist.
One more thing she should do is urine pregnancy test to rule out any possibility of pregnancy before starting this medication.
I hope by weight reduction & taking hormonal pills, her periods will regularise.
Long term solution of this problem is regular exercise, good eating habits & in some cases after conception & delivery it is cured.
I think your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.

Follow-up: Suffering from PCOS. Thyroid and hormonal test normal. Treatment to regulate period? 12 hours later
Thanks for the explanation,

She has already undergone pelvic examination by a gynaec. who has told us of PCOS disorder.

Now her height is 5 feet and weight 53 Kg. What should be the ideal weight for her?

Right from the time she has started her cycle, she never had regular periods and since then she has taken harmonal pills like regestrone, modus for 6 cycles in around 4-5 years, but of no use. She also had prolonged bleeding for about 20-25 days, 3-4 times in last 10 years.

But this time she only has some spot/stain.

Please advise?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 45 hours later
welcome back,
Her ideal weight should be 45 to 50 kg.
In PCOS, regularisation of periods is difficult to achieve.Still have a regular exercise & don't let the periods to delay more the 90 days, after that she should take progesterone tablets for withdrawal bleeding.
Right now to control spotting, take one cycle of regesterone tablet.
Try for conception, it can be a natural treatment of PCOS.
I hope your query has been answered.