Suffering from Hashimoto, sore throat, congestion, tickle sensation in airway, non smoker, sleep difficulty, on levoxyl. Advice?

I am a 45 year old male on levoxyl for Hashimoto's. About 4-5 weeks back, I flew back from vacation and developed a cold with minor sore throat and congestion. The cold seemed to resolve but now I have this tickle sensation in my airway. Initially there was some XXXXXXX mucous which now appears more diluted and mild. I cough mildly maybe once very 2-3 hours to relieve this sensation. However, it is hard to fall asleep at night. I am a nonsmoker. Temp is 98.6-99.1 .What is your advice? I wanted to add that I barely coughed today or yesterday. It was mostly a matter of difficulty falling asleep, although this was very easy when I took a cough suppressant. I otherwise feel quite well. My main concern is just to make sure I have nothing to worry about as far as a serious helth condition is concerned. Thanks.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Goyal 25 hours later

The symptoms you have are very typical of throat infection like pharyngitis and epiglottis.

Need not worry it is not serious but if left untreated can cause infection in the lungs presenting with cough , breathlessness and sputum.

I suggest you to consult an ENT specialist who shall examine you and confirm the fact following which he can advice you some antibiotics which ill help you combat the infection.Meanwhile do gargle with Chlorhexidine antiseptic solution or warn salt water twice daily.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.