Suffered general anxiety disorder. Developed insomnia. Have high BP. Anything more effective than lexotanil? Control BP?

I am male .My age is 37 weight 110 kg height 170 cm I suffered from general anxiety diorder I think always about death diseases scared matters I have problem in sleeping I can not sleep easily and I wake up early and I stay tired also when I go to hospital my blood pressure get high because I got tension of the place I went to doctor he gave me seroxat 20 mg 2 tablets one morning and one at night also lexotanil 3 mg 2 tablets one afternoon and one before sleeping do you have other medicine which more effective with GAD especially for sleeping improvement and how could I control my blood pressure at hospital .what about reducing weight and doing exercise are they good for GAD and for high blood pressure at hospital
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 7 hours later

I can understand your concern for GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). The medicines that have been prescribed to you are very good for GAD. Seroxat contains a SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) which is an antidepressant and Lexotanil contains a benzodiazepine as sedative.

Apart from the treatment mentioned above, try the following treatment options:

1) Keep a regular sleep and awakening schedule.

2) Do not drink caffeinated beverages later than the afternoon (tea, coffee, soft drinks etc.)

3) Do not go to bed hungry and you can have milk etc before going to bed.

4) Adjust the environment in the room (lights, temperature, noise, etc.)

5) Do not watch TV, read, eat, or worry in bed and avoid watching TV, reading books, and eating in your bed.

6) Self-hypnosis, biofeedback and relaxation breathing are often helpful. These can be discussed with a sleep specialist.

7)     Then we can try the non pharmacological methods first. You should consult a sleep specialist and discuss the treatment option of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT-I).

8)     If the above mentioned measures do not benefit then apart from benzodiazepines, Nonbenzodiazepine sedative-hypnotic drugs, such as zolpidem, zaleplon, zopiclone, and eszopiclone can be tried.

You may also need to get a beta blocker prescribed for controlling the high blood pressure. It is true that reducing weight and doing exercise helps with insomnia but it is better to avoid doing any exercise atleast for 5 hrs before going to bed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.