Suffer panic and anxiety. Can I take small doses of clonazepam and valium?

Is it ok to take small doses of clonazepam and valium?
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
HI and thanks for this query.
I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to answer your health questions today.

Clonazepam and diazepam are sedatives that can cause slow respiration leading to severe consequences. Taking this drug can create dependence, reduces your level of alertness, manipulating machines/driving etc This is why it is very important to make sure we get a valid reason before prescribing it to make sure the advantages are more than the potential consequences. Also, I always like that this drug should be prescribed by a physician after reviewing the patient fully. Given your age of 65, an elderly, these drugs increase the potential of falls and fractures, I will not want to play around with and may be you should should consider doing same unless there is a strong reason for doing so.

What do you mean by small doses? What may be considered small to treat one condition may not be necessarily small to treat another. Also, depending on what disease you have and what other medications you are taking, the doses can always be modified(increased or decreased). So, there is no standard dose and they are only adapted in relation to why they are needed and the patient at hand. So please, there are no small doses per se.

I will suggest you visit your doctor so that s/he can assess you, review your medications and the need of these drugs before making recommendations on dosage if s/he thinks they will be helpful and not cause any harm to you.

I hope this answers your question.
I hope you understand why I will not recommend this drug now and see that it is clearly in your best interest.
I wish you good health.
Please, feel free to contact me if you want more answers concerning this query.
Dr, Ditah, MD.