Suffer from frequent burping accompanied with pain. Spleen damaged during colonoscopy. CT scan showed small hematoma on spleen. What to do?

I have periods, sometimes for days, and sometimes a week apart, where I keep burping every 15 seconds. Sometimes this lasts just a few minutes, and last night it started at 7:30 PM and went on whenever I was awake until 6:30 AM. This is accompanied often by a pain that becomes stronger if I push on the left side just under my ribs. Last February, my spleen got slightly damaged during a colonoscopy. In March I had a small diverticulitis attack, and was CT scanned, and there was just a small hematoma on the spleen. I do not know if this has anything to do with it. I went to a gastroenterologist who wanted another CT scan, but I had one in January and another in March, and I am afraid of all that radiation. A few other doctors I have spoken with agree with me about the radiation. In the March CT scan, as well as the endoscopy and colonoscopy I had, everything was otherwise normal. Could I have developed uterine cancer so quickly, from just a few cysts that they saw in March? This often comes up when I look on the net for answers. Do you have any suggestions as to why this may be happening?
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 20 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. Burping could be a manifestation of aerophagia, meaning excessive air ingested when you eat (usually when you eat fast and chew very little), irritation of the gastroesophageal system or sometimes reflex irritation of the diaphragm. It would not be a typical symptom of uterine cancer: these lists that you see on the Internet are usually very exhaustive but not specific to the patients' conditions. A few suggestions:

1) When you eat, take small bites, chew well, and take at least a good half and hour-45 minutes to finish your meal

2) Avoid carbonated beverages, alcohol, coffee and mint.

3) Intensify anti-reflux measures, including no food 2 h prior to bed. If you have worsening reflux symptoms, you should contact your doctor to see if a medication adjustment is warranted.

Hope this is helpful, wish you the best,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Suffer from frequent burping accompanied with pain. Spleen damaged during colonoscopy. CT scan showed small hematoma on spleen. What to do? 38 minutes later
You have not told me anything new. I am 72 and have never burped much before. I do not eat for at least 3 hours prior to bedtime. This does not always happen at bedtime, but often happens 3 hours or so AFTER a meal. I do chew. I do not ever drink alcohol or coffee or use mint. Any other suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later

Thanks for all that additional medical information. Then given your history of traumatic spleen injury during the colonoscopy and a subsequent hematoma, it may be advisable to obtain an abdominal imaging technique; since radiation is a concern, then an ultrasound would be reasonable. Dysfunction of the diaphragm, given its proximity to the spleen and left upper quadrant should be considered. A plain x XXXXXXX film (negligible radiation) can assess the position of the diaphragm.

In terms of your specific question, evolution of benign cysts to cancer is not a phenomenon that is expected to happen in a few weeks or months.