Suffer PCOD. Have periods only when take Meprate. Taking Hyponidd and Glycomet. Conceive after marriage?

Mar 2016

Hi Doctor,
I am suffering from PCOD for the last 7 years.My periods only comes incase when take MEPRATE without it i dont see my periods.Right now I am taking medicines as suggested by my doctor so pls confirm whether these medicines(Hyponidd and Glycomet) are correct for me or should i stop taking it because i cannot see any kind of improvement and i am very much worried for my future .
Please let me know if i dnt get my periods on time and have PCOD will I be able to concieve after my marrigae?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, PCOD is an endocrine disorder with presence of hormonal imbalance and impairment of ovulation, leads to irregular delayed period or amenorrhoea (absence of period). Here, hypothalamus-pituitary-ovarian (HPO) axis is mostly disturbed.

Ovulation or egg release is controlled by HPO axis & it may be aggravated by excessive weight gain or loss, mental stress/ depression, irregular diet habit, hypothyroidism etc. If we can correct or eliminate this factors which trigger egg release, then we can hope that brain will automatically give signals to release egg timely in the cycle. Do the following things to be effective like:

1) Weight reduction or control of body weight by regular physical exercise- key role to correct hormonal imbalance.
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin & iron supplements along with above said medications. Complete avoidance of fatty/ junk/ spicy foods. Keep bowel habit regular.
3) Try to avoid stress/ depression by regular yoga/ meditation/ breathing exercise. Take sound sleep, drink more water & eat green vegetables etc.

Now, let me explain the role of above medications in PCOD. Meprate is a progesterone supplement tab and used to replace essential hormone which is deficient in your body i.e. progesterone. It can't trigger egg release, leading to regular cycle. Once trigger arises in the brain by itself, your period will be regular without any medication. Until then, you need to continue those medication in every cycle. Glycomet (metformin) is given to prevent type 2 diabetes in future.

Yes, you may face conceiving problem after marriage as PCOD causes improper ovulation with irregular cycle and without ovulation, you can't be pregnant.

To summarize, low carbohydrate diet, control body weight, stress management and supportive medication are the key elements in PCOD treatment as long as you live.

Hope this information is quite helpful. If you have any further query, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health. Take care yourself.

Dr Soumen