Suddenly lost the grip in palm. Found K+ level 5.6meg/L in blood test. Any suggestion?

My mother is 79 years old. Suddenly she has lost the grip in her right palm. After blood test, it is found K+ level is 5.6meg/L. Doctor has prescribed K Bind XXXXXXX twice a day. What else she is required for her reovery ? She is non-Diebetic and BP is controlled by medicine.
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Abid 47 minutes later
Hi there and sorry to hear about your mother.

Sudden loss of grip only in right hand is highly unlikely because of potassium issue.

She should also get her radial nerve along with x XXXXXXX cervical spine to reach the final conclusion so that exact treatment may be offered to her.

Please make sure her blood pressure is well within the normal limits. It may be a sign of impending stroke.

She has to go on physiotherapy exercises of the hand to regain full grip.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back if you have follow up queries to ask.

Regards and wish her good health.
Follow-up: Suddenly lost the grip in palm. Found K+ level 5.6meg/L in blood test. Any suggestion? 15 hours later
Dear Dr. Abid,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. I will ask doctor here to advise for x-ray of cervical spine of her alongwith checking of nerve condition.
I will inform her health condition later .

with regards,
Answered by Dr. Abid 7 hours later

You are most welcome and let me know when you get through test results.