Suddenly heard a popping and felt hit on calf muscle. Having difficulty in walking. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i was bowling on Sunday first time in years. I only got 1 frame in on my second frame started with my steps on second step it felt like someone threw something and hit my calf and then I felt a pop. My legs are already swollen due to water retention. However now I am having a difficult time walking and it is very painful.
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 50 minutes later
It seems that you have suffered a soft tissue injury or a minor muscle tear in the area. Most commonly it is associated with appearance of a bruise in the area. If there is a pain on weight bearing then a bone injury also needs to be ruled out after a proper examination.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.