Sudden stomach upset, hard stool, loss of appetite, upper respiratory tract infection, reddish throat, feverish. Suggest treatment

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hello Doctor,
My Husband is currently in a remote location & need some medical assistance.
He has sudden stomach upset, probably due to some food poison. No loose motion as such but along with hard stool some liquid discharge also happening. Loss of appetite & upper respiratory track infection with reddish throat,feverish feeling.
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

I will address your problems one by one.
First of all the upper respiratory tract infection, reddish throat and associated fever.
These symptoms are suggestive of an infection. Your husband can take an anti-pyeritic (paracetamol), antibiotic (like azithromycin) and saline gargles. Avoid eating spicy foods which can cause irritation of the throat mucosa.

The sudden stomach upset is unlikely to be due to food poisoning as there is no associated vomiting and diarrhea.
For the symptoms of passing hard stools, a stool softener can be taken. Instead of going for chemical laxatives, some home remedies can be tried.
1. Drink plenty of water atleast 6-8 glasses per day
2. Take fresh fruits and vegetables
3. Include barley in your diet
4. Psyllium husk (isabgol) in water or milk
5. Aloe vera juice, prunes

These measures are to avoid long term constipation. But for immediate relief, psyllium husk and ample water will resolve the problem within a day.

Follow these measures and let me know the results.
The liquid discharge in stools can be just mucus secretion.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal