Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took tylenol. Any relief?

I was carrying up wood for the wood stove and felt a pop "in" the center of my back through to my insides. So the pain was inside. I layed down on the couch because of fear what was going to happen next. There was no pain. So I got up and went on as if nothing happened. But 2 days later I got an overwhelming feeling of tingling from my back to head almost like a start of a hot flash. But not. Got through that about 20 minutes. Then had the same overwhelming feeling in 3 more days but not as bad. It has been a week and a half and I had an alchol drink and turned beet red very hot. Took awhile to go away. Then 2 days later I get blood in my left eye ball while out buying makeup. The sales lady noticed it. It was not there 2 hrs prior. I have some pain with it. I took Tylenol. So then we flying home the next day and I get the overwhelming feeling again. And this brings me to today. I have it again on and off not sure if I should make a doctor appt. My bp has been 115/75 pulse 66 earlier today. now it is 127/79 pulse 59.
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello and welccome to XXXXXXX

The sudden pop like sound that you experienced could have caused a spinal disc herniation or even a prolapsed disc. These occur due to lifting heavy objects, direct injury, or even has some unknown causes.

The presence of referred pain (and also the hot flash like sensation you experienced from your back to head) could mean that either the herniated portion or the prolapsed disc itself is causing some amount of nerve compression. Whenever this nerve compression takes place, you will experience the pain.

Kindly visit your doctor at the earliest for a physical examination and even an MRI of your spine to confirm/rule out herniation or a prolapse of the disc.

Listing most common causes of blood in eye:
-Direct trauma
-People on blood thinning medications like aspirin or warfarin
-Sudden increase in blood pressure (due to lifting weights, coughing, sneezing, constipation, etc.)
-Vitamin K deficiency or a clotting disorder (rarely seen)

You haven't mentioned any blood thinners in your histroy, but if you are on blood thinners, please discuss the appearance of blood in your eye with your treating doctor.
-Make sure not to rub your eyes
-A lubricant to apply on your eyes could avoid further aggravation
It usually takes 5-10 days for the blood to start disappearing, this doesn't mean that you wait it out and not consult your doctor.

These two conditions are less likely to be associated, but this can only be ruled out by the doctors attending to you.

I hope I have helped in advising you through this, please seek the required medical attention and you should be fine soon. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shoaib Khan