Stopped taking effexor. Suffering from low mood, fatigue, weight gain and back pain. Medication?

Hi I've been on effexor 25mg for last 7 months. Just recently weaned myself from it. I've put on heaps of weight, like I'm about to give birth.

I have the following health issues. I am not on any medicatiion besides capsiplex plus
Insulin resistance

Low progesterone

These are the symptoms that I am suffering:

shoulder blade pain
Lower back pain
Fluid retention
Low mood
Light irregular periods
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with a myriiad of symptoms. I understand you were on efflexor, Venlafaxine which is a SNRI type of antidepressant. I wonder why you were weaned away from the drugs when you still suffer from low mood, fatigue, weakness and pain symptoms. I am surprised you are currently not on any anti-depressant. I would strongly recommend starting an anti-depressant again. In addition you, would require a medical evaluation and need be started on anti-cholesterol drugs like statins. You would also need to focus on weight loss by a combination of dietary restrictions and graded exercises. Metformin might be a good choice for your problem of insulin resistance.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Stopped taking effexor. Suffering from low mood, fatigue, weight gain and back pain. Medication? 15 minutes later
I will be doing a saliva test for my hormones. As I believe that there is an underlying issue in terms of my sudden weight gain. And I know that effexor was to blame as well. Being naturally thin it's a bandaid solution and actually creates or exasserbates health issues.

I disagree with your comments about going back on an antidepressant. I actually requested a dr knowledgable in female issues. As I am still investigating whether I am hyperthyroiod, my hormones are in array or anemic.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 3 minutes later
I agree with the fact that venlafaxine does cause weight gain. However, it can always be substituted with an antidepressant with minimal side-effects.Ofcourse, hormonal imbalance particularly hypothyroidism can mimic depression. Neverthless, it requires concerted treatment by an endocrinologist and a psychiatrist in your case considering multiple issues.
Dr Sundar