Stopped Finasteride due to getting breasts. Will proper diet offset not taking Finasteride?

after taking finesteride for 2 years I stopped because my breasts were getting large an looking female! A PSa test recently showed 3.0 and my testosterone has come back to normal 500. The PSA has been slowly rising and in Dec 2011 I will go to the clinic for complete bloodwork since I have been a diabetic for 20 years. I have stopped eating red meat, dairy and hot dogs completely. Will that offset not taking Finesteride? I have no trouble urinating and I am a non smoker. XXXXXXX age 74 and 6 months.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
At your age prostatomegaly is expected. Since your PSA levels are also mildly raised, this shows that there is mild to moderate prostate enlargement. You are taking adequate dietary restrictions.
Now that you have stopped taking finasteride, you can just wait for your complete investigations in December.
You can recheck your PSA levels after one month and if it shows a sudden rise then you can resume taking finasteride.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: Stopped Finasteride due to getting breasts. Will proper diet offset not taking Finasteride? 21 hours later
If the followup PSA is the same 3.0 or less will I have to restart the Finesteride as my breasts are no longer increasing and I have no urinary problems and my bladder empties completely as was shown on the previous CT scan?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If your follow up PSA remains same or decreases then you can avoid taking finasteride and keep a regular check on your PSA levels every six months.
Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.