Stomach ache and nausea after having unprotected sex. Can I test for pregnancy after three days?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am 25 yr married
I had un-protected sex on 16 August @ 2.00 AM (16 august night). my current time is 19 Aug 11.45 AM

I felling stomach ache, nausea. I afraid that m i Pregnant ?

Can i test my pregnancy now by pregnancy tester ? and if the test is positive can i take an I-Pill right now to stop the pregnancy?
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 55 minutes later
hi,

you didn't mention regarding your menstrual cycle,
if you had unprotected intercourse around the time of ovulation then only there is chance for pregnancy,
means in case of 30 days cycle with regular periods, it will be around 14th to 18th day usually.
in case of irregular periods it is difficult to guess the time of ovulation,
anyhow usually pregnancy symptoms may not start this much early,
i-pill should be taken within 72 hours of intercourse for better efficacy, as you already crossed that period the chance of protection is less, anyhow you can take that as safe side, but remember that the possibility of pregnancy is not completely eliminated with this,

pregnancy tester cannot detect this much early usually,
you better wait 10 more days then go for blood test for pregnancy which will rule out the possibility.
in case of positive result you can go for medical termination of pregnancy with your doctor's advice.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Stomach ache and nausea after having unprotected sex. Can I test for pregnancy after three days? 1 hour later
Thanks! regarding my menstrual cycle, it usually gets delayed by 3-4 days. Last time I had my periods beginning 30th July and i had intersourse on Auguat 16th, Is this fertlile window for me?

Also, if i go for taking emergency contraceptive pills like i-pill..can you please tell me about it's side effects?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 hours later
hi,

according to your menstrual cycle 16th August can come under fertile period only as spermatozoa can be viable up to 5 days in female genital tract in case of ideal circumstances,
i pill can have side effects like altering the menstrual cycle, nausea, vomitings, bloating sensation of abdomen, spotting, breast tenderness etc, but usually these will be mild and subside soon.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.