Started pain in penis after unprotected sex. What precaution should be taken to get relief?

Psychiatrist
Question
I have done unsafe sex, now what is the precaution I should take and I also feel pain in my penis, when I do intercourse without condom. So what is the best process to get releive from this pain.
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Men Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 8 hours later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Since you have mentioned that you have pain in your penis after an unsafe sexual exposure, it is best to get a proper examination and certain lab tests done, to find out if you have contracted any infection. Unsafe sex can put you at risk of contracting various STDs (sexually transmitted diseases) - these can be local infections of the genitals or systemic infections like HIV. The earlier these infections are detected, the easier it is to treat.

So, these are the precautions I would suggest you to follow:

1) Observe for any local symptoms such as sores, redness, blisters, hardness or pus discharge from the penis.

2) Go to a doctor and have a physical examination and lab tests (like VDRL-for syphillis, ELISA-for HIV, etc.). Please do not hesitate to do these tests due to fear or embarassment because prompt treatment of certain infections can prevent serious complications later on.

3) If your unsafe sexual exposure has been within 1 or 2 days, then sometimes prophylactic (i.e. precautionary) antibiotics may be of use. This has to be decided by your doctor after taking a detailed history and examining you.

4) Please refrain yourself from having intercourse without a condom, till you have yourself checked and cleared, as you may be putting your current partner also at risk.

5) In the future, always practice safe sex.

I hope you will be able to follow these suggestions and benefit from them.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Started pain in penis after unprotected sex. What precaution should be taken to get relief? 4 hours later
In this scenario, which test I should do like u have mentioned two test ( VDRL-for syphillis, ELISA-for HIV)?

Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hi again and thanks for writing in.

It's better to do both of them as both diseases are sexually transmitted and you at risk of having contracted them. Usually, an ELISA test will be able to detect HIV infection only after a period of about 3 months from the time of exposure. So, if this was your first unsafe sexual exposure, then it's better to do an ELISA test after a period of 3 months, but if you have had unsafe sex previously also, then it's better to get it done now.

However, I would suggest that you first undergo a physical examination by a doctor and depending upon the necessity, you can to undergo the appropriate tests. The two tests which I had mentioned were just examples. There are many more tests which are done as per the symptoms, physical examination findings and clinical diagnosis. For example, if you have any burning urination, a urine test will be required; if you have a urethral discharge, then a pus swab test(for gonorrhoea) will be required; if you have whitish blisters, then a herpes test will be required and so on.

So, kindly see a doctor and he will take a detailed sexual history, do a proper physical examination and then will suggest you the most appropriate tests to be done.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist