Started jogging. Noticed swelling and pain on lower leg. Taking vitamin b12 and vitamin d. Any thoughts?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
dear sir , i am 43 yrs old, as i started to go for jogging , my lower leg ,especially anckle and surrounding area got swollen and pain, so i went to ortho spl , he wrote me some test , there he found defeciency of vitamin b12 and vitamin d. then he percribed vitamin d inj. once in a week and methycobal inj twice in a week for 6 week.
now i want to ask how many time will take to recover me and side effects of these medicines
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

I have gone through the reports attached with the query.
You are suffering from vit D and vit B12 deficiency and your symptoms seems to be related to this one.

Your doctor had correctly prescribe the injections. These are taken for 3-6 weeks to correct the deficiency.After that for maintaince of these level you have to take good sunlight exposure and diet XXXXXXX in vit B12.It will take 6-8 weeks to recover .

Methylcobalamine and vit D are vitamin and so except for local injection site effects ,like swelling or pain,there is not much side effect if taken in appropriate doses under supervision of treating doctor.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.