Squeezing sensation in upper chest, asthma. Taken steroids, palpitations, fainting, nausea. Is this a cause for concern?

I have a mile squeezing sensation in my upper left chest, where I imagine my heart to be. I am a slim 47 year old, have mild asthma but no other health problems. I am not suffering from shortness of breath and feel well. But this sensation has lasted all day, so I am starting to worry.
I recently had to take steroids and has enormous palpitations, took my pulse and my heart was skipping a beat. I stooped the tablets after 2 days, as other symptons too were awful - near fainting in the night, now sleep, no appitite, nausea etc and all fine within a couple of days. I have had no heart problems prior to this, although mild palpitations occasionally. Should I be worried or try to forget it?
Many thanks Jan
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later

Based on what you describe I feel you need to consult your doctor at the earliest. You could be having symptoms of Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). Squeezing sensation in the left upper chest associated with palpitations, skipped beats (arrhythmia), near fainting in the night could be event of angina needing immediate evaluation to rule out CAD. All these definitely warrant a visit to the doctor as soon as possible.

The other possible differential diagnosis I can think of in your case is:
1. GERD (gastro esophageal reflux disease)

Hope I have answered your question. I would be happy to answer further queries, if any.

Get well soon.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan