Sore throat with blisters on it and getting pain while swallowing. Took medicine. Right medicine?

ENT Specialist
I have had a sore throat and pain in my throat when swallowing. Myuvula is red and there appears to be a"blister" at it's base. I have had 2 courses of antibiotics a few weeks a go for flu like symptoms (with fever.) Alos lately sometimes my toungue fees like it has swollen and I get a feeling like I am going to swallow my tongue, There appears to no one food that does it. Benedryl at night helps reduce the feeling of "swallowng my tongue" however the persistant lump in throat feeling with sorenes is becoming constant (halls menthol cough drops reduces the pain) Any direction would help. It has been at least 4-6 weeks lke this
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 1 hour later

I have gone through your query regarding sore throat associated with red and swollen uvula and blister at the base leading to severe pain on swallowing. You have already taken two courses of antibiotics, but that seems to be helpless. You got little relief by halls menthol cough drops.

Considering your symptoms, it is clear that you are suffering from uvulo-pharyngitis with palatal ulcer.

Pathological development of your disease is as - Initially you were having fever with flu like symptoms, including sore throat, which in due course of time progressed to develop uvular congestion with ulceration. Local throat infection spread to involve posterior part of tongue. All these are responsible for pain on swallowing. Because of this infection, you may have got lymph nodes on your neck. Swollen uvula is giving you feeling of lump in your throat.

i would advise you to go for these basic investigations-
(1) Blood- C.B.C., E.S.R., blood sugar F & PP, serum proteins.
(2) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.
(3) X-Ray chest - P.A. View.
(4) Urine test- Routine & Microscopic.
(5) Scrap cytology from ulcer at uvula.

A thorough clinical examination of throat is must to find out important information of lesions for deciding the nature of disease. Important abstract from clinical examination and their co-relation with inferences of investigations, will tell us about diagnosis. then a plan for treatment can be decided on.

Hope you are now clear about your query. If still you have any doubt, you may contact again.

Thanks and Regards
Follow-up: Sore throat with blisters on it and getting pain while swallowing. Took medicine. Right medicine? 2 hours later
Thank you dr for your response. I was wondering if you looked at the picture of my throat I took and do you notice anything from the picture?
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 11 hours later

Thanks for re consulting.

I was able to view the picture attached. The uvula appears slightly swollen and edematous - consistent with inflammation.

Visible inspection and palpation of the area can give us more clues to confirm/exclude my suspicion. Therefore I urge you to consult a qualified ENT surgeon for detailed examination and to streamline further testing. A proper treatment can be planned accordingly.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other clarifications.