Sore throat, cold, unable to speak, high temperature. Diagnosed with asthma, hypertension. Taking antibiotics, nasal spray. Advise

ENT Specialist
Hi I had a cold last December ..well I thouhgt it was just a cold...a month later..(having taken various remedies checking first with my Pharmacy that it was safe,as I have asthma and hypertension,controlled with medication...) I went to see my GP who gave me a course of antibiotics...I was due to go on holiday and I asked if I should cancel as it was long haul...the GP informed me that I had sinusitis and that I would notice the difference in a few days...sure enough on the third day I did see an improvment and was optimistic I would feel able to summon enough energy to contemplate packing ...Infact on the fifth day of taking the antibiotics(the day we were travelling to the airport) I still had not done the packing....anyway I told myself I was being lazy etc...and that if I put my mind to it I would be ready by 4.00pm. Made a supreme effort and we were in the car before it was really dark(January 10) Got to Manchester checked into the hotel and I was too tired to do was only early evening but I decided I would go to bed as the check in at the airport was about 4.00am...I was tired but soldiered on as the holiday was a special one celebrate my daughter's special birthday....40 to be precise...she was excited ...we were going to be away for three and half to Hawaii...( 4 days in Las vegas first-surprise element).It was cold but XXXXXXX in Las Vegas I managed to keep going the first 3 days but the fourth day I was too tired we just relaxed in our own hotel...I wanted to save my energy for our flight to LA the next daughter understood even though I could detect an element of disappointment on her face....We arrived in LA had some supper and went to bed as we were due to embark the cruiseship the next day...with a lot of hanging around, which would be tiring anyway...We had a lovely time in was warm...t shirt weather...just right...I felt well!

On our return home (1 Feb) I felt tired/jetlagged but not ill...on the third day of us being at home and much resting...I went to get some provisions...well I returned all fluey and unwell...extremely energy to even put the groceries away....on the 10 Feb I still felt snowed the next day but I managed to get a repeat prescription for the blanket antibiotics...over the phone...this time they didn't make much difference throat was like an emeryboard, I had temperature...had no energy hadn't been out of the house for days....spoke to the pharmacist
and he said to make an appt with GP as soon as the snow had gone, sooner if possible...I finally saw one of the GP's ten days later...I was told I had pharangitis...was given different antibiotics and this time for 14 days plus nasal spray...after I completed the course I also took some metatone tonic...I felt a lot stronger and had some good days.
I started to go out for a my own shopping sometimes...returned to my tai chi and pilates classes but found talking still painful...I would get a temperature most evenings and then be ok again for a day or so...It has been very intermittent...coughing..temperature...sore thoat...I am still vocally challenged avoid phone calls...rely on emails and texts to communicate with famly and friends....I am reluctant to initiate telephone conversations and only go out when it is XXXXXXX ...I am trying to keep depression at bay but its getting very I am sociable person and need contact with the outside world desperately...what can I do...please help me....I know my prolonged illness may be due to my asthma...but surely I should be completely recovered by now...I intend to see my GP in a few days and request Blood tests...What do you think? I anticipate an early reply from you....please...Thank you so much...
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query and analyse all facts related to treatment and problems you faced in your trip due to your illness. Since you are a diagnosed case of ASTHMA and HYPERTENSION, therefore you should always take care of cold and sore throat specially during stress period as the time whenever in any tour or out of station, because infection of cold & sorethroat are well known to give rise to SEVERE SINUSITIS AND LARYNGITIS as happens with you.

Now you are well but it will be better for you to investigate yourself for-

(1) C.T.scan paranasal sinuses.

(2) X-Ray chest -(P.A.View).

(3) Blood- CBC, ESR, blood sugar ( F. & P.P. ), Serum creatinin, SGOT, Uric acid.

(4) Urine - Routine and Microscopic.

(5) E.C.G. & T.M.T.

(6) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.

By thorough examination and clinical co-relation of investigation's report your real facts will be clear and than one can manage your treatment .