Something popped in lower back while bending, fell down & not able to stand up, pregnant. Was it bone/ disk/ muscular?

I'm pregnant, I bent over to pick up some pants yesterday, something in my lower back popped ( feeling not sound). Then I was down on the ground. I had to crawl to a chair to stand up, and could hardly walk to kinda crawl into bed. I didn't go to work yesterday or today even though I can get up and down with less trouble today. What did I do? Was it bone, disk, or muscular?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there. Thank for posting your question here .

If you ruptured a disc (herniation) then you would not be getting a bit better so quickly. You would be on the flat of your back for much longer.

I think the most likely explanation for the sudden onset of severe lower back pain on stooping, is that you over-stretched a faceted joint in your LS spine. This has now gone back into place and everything should settle quickly.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Good luck with your pregnancy and take it easy.