Smoker. Will nicotine patches or nicotine gums help to quit smoking?

I smoke about 15 cigarettes a day. I have tried to quit several times without success.Are nicotine patches or nicotine gums advisable.
Posted Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 13 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX .....
I appreciate your effort to quit smoking. As you rightly mentioned nicotine gums, what we refer to as "nicotine replacement therapy" are beneficial in quitting smoking. They act by reducing your craving for cigarettes. You would require around a maximum of five-six 2 mg nicotine chewing gums per day which we would advise to continue for 3 months. Thereafter, you can gradually taper off the number of chewing gums over next 2 weeks. I would suggest you undertake "relapse prevention sessions" with your psychologist/psychiatrist thereafter to prevent yourself from re-initiating smoking once you quit. Hope you found the information useful. You are welcome to clarify any further queries.
Dr Sundar G