Small black spots on penis growing. Have dermatitis. Is it lentigo or hyperpigmentation?

I am a 36 year old male and about 14-15 years back i noticed a small black spot on my penis. Then they were two and I did not take care of it. But since last 2-3 years or more, I see more of them and growing too. They are absolutely painless but am a bit worried now. Is it lentigo, hyperpigmentation or something else, I don't know. Can anybody help? I also have dermatitis on hands and exaggerated moles(or pigmentation not sure) on my right hand.

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 41 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I would recommend you to get prompt medical advice from a Competent Dermatologist. If you have no past history of unprotected sexual encounters you don't have to be alarmed about since a few of them could be due to serious conditions but please take into consideration that most spots that you find on your penis are liable to be completely harmless.

In view of the fact that they are painless, I could think of Molluscum Contagiosum and Fordyce Spots. Both these conditions have to be excluded and please don't panic as it is not Lentigo.

Molluscum contagiosum is an infectious viral disease and it is transmitted through ordinary skin to skin contact. In adults it may be sexually transmitted and this is probably the commonest cause of penile molluscum in adult men. Fordyce Spots frequently appear in crops of 50 to 100 which are painless and not itchy, and are not sexually transmitted but actually are abnormally dilated blood vessels, covered by thickened skin. Both these conditions can be treated with electrocautery or freezing. Your Doctor will decide upon the management plan depending on the cause.

Hope this answers your query, Please accept my answer if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Small black spots on penis growing. Have dermatitis. Is it lentigo or hyperpigmentation? 1 hour later
The black spots(not exactly circular) are actually on the head of the penis(the pink area).
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back to me.

Both Molluscum contagiosum and Fordyce spots can occur anywhere over the male genital organ like scrotum, shaft or glans (as in your case) and could be of any shape. Not to worry, I can understand your concern. Get yourself examined by a proficient dermatologist for ruling them out.

All the best and Take care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.