Slipped and got neck injury. Lost strength and sensitivity below knee. Any temporary relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi, my daughter (29 yo) fell down on slippery road and hurt her neck. It happened an hour ago. She lost strength and sensitivity in the leg below left knee. She has no pain in the neck or along the spine. We are having a snow storm now and its a problem to get to the ER now. What can we do at home to help her?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 59 minutes later

After neck injury, loss of strength and sensetivity in the leg might indicate spinal injury.She might having incomplete injury. An incomplete injury means a partial injury to one or more sections of the spinal cord. These types of injuries may affect certain segments of the body depending on which tract of the cord is damaged.

Till you reach the ER follow these measures at home to help her-
Lie on hard bed.Put sand bags at side of neck to immobilise it.If you can arrange hard cervical collar apply this to immobilse the neck.
Do not allow her for Sitting and standing
During transportation neck should be immobilised.

I hope this is helpful to you. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing her good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.