Slightly elevated blood pressure, low heart beat. Feeling dizzy when working. Is it normal for my age?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my blood pressure is about 154 over 84 with heartbeat of 52 and when I rest and
then start doing something, i feel a little dizzy, this has been going on for a few
days and my blood pressure has been in the range of 150 to 156 over 81 to 88
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

A blood pressure of 154/84 with a pulse rate of 52 is excellent for your age. This is not likely to be the cause of dizziness that you are having. The more likely causes are-

1. Cervical spondylosis - giving rise to cervical vertigo
2. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) - inner ear problem
3. Neurological - arising from brain
4. Cardiac cause - improper heart rhythm
5. Gastritisacid reflux from the stomach can cause dizziness with vomiting, this happens occasionally.

The most common ENT cause for dizziness is BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo); this is a condition of inner ear wherein there is dislodgement of the otoliths (small stone like things present in the semicircular canals of the inner ear) into the semicircular canal causing dizziness. Usually this lasts for few seconds to few minutes and it is noticed on getting up from the bed or rolling over on the bed.

The second most common cause is cervical vertigo secondary to cervical spondylosis. It so happens that the blood vessels passing through the vertebra gets compressed on turning the head/bending forward, leading to reduced supply of blood to the brain and causing dizziness.

Irregular heartbeats also known as arrhythmia can also cause dizziness because of improper blood supply to the brain.

I would advise you to consult an ENT surgeon to first confirm the cause of vertigo i.e. the exact diagnosis whether meniere’s or proprioceptive disorders or any neurological cause by evaluation and investigation (Magnetic Resonant Imaging, audiogram, etc)

The treatment will depend on the cause and its severity.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.