Sleepless night, racing heartbeat with pain in ear, jaw, neck and shoulder. Any cure?

Average

Psychiatrist
Question
I have right ear ache pain that extends to my jaw and down my neck and front and back shoulder. Heart racing at night and hard to sleep. Any suggestions? I recently took myself off of all meds. Was taking 225 mg. of Venlafaxine per day for panic and anxiety, take 5 mg. of ambien at night to help me sleep and have fibromyalgia.
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     53 year old female
•     Known case of fibromyalgia, panic and anxiety
•     Stopped Venlafaxine suddenly
•     Complaints of: right ear ache pain that extends to jaw and down my neck and front and back shoulder, heart racing at night and difficulty in sleep.

Symptoms like right ear ache pain that extends to jaw and down my neck and front and back shoulder, heart racing at night and difficulty in sleep are possible due to recurrence of anxiety symptoms.

Treatment for anxiety and panic disorder need to be continued for long term in psychiatrist supervision. Medicines like venlafaxine should not stopped suddenly. Ambien is used only for sleep, but it do not reduce anxiety and longterm use lead to addiction. Although venlafaxine use do not lead to addiction even on years of use.

Apart from that, it is better to rule out other causes of headache in following hierarchy:
-Pathology in ear, teeth, sinus or eyes
-High BP: so monitor your BP
-Vision problem
-Neurological cause: may need MRI for that.

Your treatment will depend on cause of headache. So get yourself evaluated for above causes for headache. Same time it is better to restart treatment for anxiety and panic.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal

Follow-up: Sleepless night, racing heartbeat with pain in ear, jaw, neck and shoulder. Any cure? 41 minutes later
Does it matter that the pain is on the left side?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Yes it matter, as there is more chances left side pathology and physician will pay more attention on that side during examination.

Wish you good health.
Regards.