Sickness, sinus infection, ear infection, short of hearing, numbness of hands and legs, MRI. Suggestions?

ENT Specialist
My wife has been sick for a couple of weeks. She developed what we thought was a sinus infection and/or ear infection. She went to an ETN specialist after she had been treated by a family physician, the specialist drained her ear and inserted a tube in her ear. Unfortunately she still cannot hear, and now is experiencing periodic dizziness and brief numbness in her hands and tongue. It appears to be getting worse..and she has been scheduled for a MRI, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Her MRI will help rule out any rare demyelinating disease such as multiple sclerosis, any inflammation, infection, stroke or aneurysm in the nervous system. An MRI will also pick up whether her ear / sinus infection still exists.

2. I hope her MRI is within normal limits. Assuming this as the norm at her age, I would first get a blood profile to rule out deficiency syndromes such as megaloblastic anemia due to deficiency of Vitamin B12 and folic acid. Also rule out hypocalcemia (tingling numbness) and magnesium deficiency (sugar problems).

3. If her numbness is only on the side of the drained ear, it could be due to the involvement of the chorda tympani nerve which passes through the ear to the anterior two thirds of the tongue. I would definitely like to review the operative notes of the ear tube insertion. Periodic dizziness, when related to the ear has certain characteristics which differentiate it from central dizziness.

a)Has she had a Neurologist's opinion?
b)Does she have nystagmus?
c)Does she have any hearing loss?
d)Does she have Tinnitus? (BPPV/ Menier's Disease) Can you describe her episodes of dizziness as per relation to change of position, vertigo or unsteadiness, duration, fatigability.

4. A secondary Raynaud's Syndrome will also cause her blood circulation problems and her hands to turn blue with change in temperature and include arthritis and vasculitis.

Hope I have answered your query. You may need to fill in the latest information. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.