Should my 5 year old who fell and hit his head be examined?

Question
My 5 yr old son fell off backward from a folded out sofa bed(probably 12 inches high and hit the back of his head on the floor. He does not seem to have any symptoms of head injury. That was about 12 hrs ago. Do I need to have him examined by a dr? He had no trouble getting up and doing things afterwards.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

From your description it seems that your son has suffered a minor head injury.
If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get him examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor him for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.

Meanwhile you can do a hot compress in the area of injury give him a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen if there is any mild pain.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Should my 5 year old who fell and hit his head be examined? 1 hour later
I have asked him numerous times today if his head hurts and he says no. I read that the affects of a head injury can appear weeks later. Is that true? How long should I reasonably be concerned about it?

Thank you so much for your help. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Some of the neurological symptoms might manifest late but in your case it does not seem to be a serious enough injury to cause any such deficits. Still you can monitor him for around two weeks to be very sure that he is perfectly alright.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.