Should i be concerned about hard colorless lump near my collar bone?

May 2014

No it has no discoloration and does not's. not as noticeable to the eye as it is to touch
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Further information requested Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. There are a few more details which need to be known to arrive at a possible cause. 1. Since when are you having the lump? 2. Is the lump increasing in size? What was the initial size of the lump? 3. Is it painful to touch with local rise in temperature? 4. Is it bony hard, firm or soft? 5. Did you suffer or are suffering from any other medical condition? Please do update me with the above information and I will get back to you at the earliest. Regards, Dr.Vivek
Follow-up: Should i be concerned about hard colorless lump near my collar bone? 4 minutes later
The lump has not changed in size since I noticed it about a week ago's boney hard and has no discoloration. .I have no known health problems. .it doesn't change when my temperature increases or doesn't hurt but ...
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing back with requested information. It appears from the picture sent in by you and with your information provided that you are having a bony swelling which has been there for a while but was noticed only last week by you. The area of the swelling is consistent with the end of the collar bone towards the midline (medically termed as medical end of clavicle) on the right side. The swelling is asymptomatic and isolated. Discussing about the most common causes of an isolated and asymptomatic enlargement of the medial clavicle, underlying etiologies include 1. osteoarthritis of the sternoclavicular joint (degenerative change) 2. condensing osteitis (due to mechanical stress, infection or trauma) 3. spontaneous dislocation of the sternoclavicular joint, (due to mild trauma)and 4. sternocostoclavicular hyperostosis (increased bone formation in the area). The above mentioned conditions are relatively harmless but may cause pain at some point in time. In most cases, a careful physical examination as well as a directed history can elucidate the etiology of the enlargement. Accompanying symptoms (if any) throughout the history of its presence, past history of other diseases of the musculoskeletal system, as well as the limitation in mobility of the affected side should be noted. I suggest you not to worry and consult an orthopedician and get yourself examined clinically. The origin of the swelling needs to be confirmed. This may require X ray and scans of the region. As online opinion based on a picture cannot substitute a physical examination, I urge you to please confirm your diagnosis at the earliest. it is, however, important to note that while an asymptomatic enlargement of the clavicle is most commonly due to the benign orthopaedic pathologies listed above, primary tumors of the clavicle, though rare, may present in a similar manner. Non bony swellings in the region can be due to fat, soft tissues and nerves. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek