Should a 9.8 cm right adnexal cystic lesion be removed?

Mar 2013
I have a 9.8 cm right adnexal cystic lesion does it have to be removed?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: YES. REMOVAL IS WARRANTED - LAP SHOULD BE TRIED. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Basically an adnexal cyst that is 5 cm or less can be observed, particularly if it is simple cystic on sonogram ( no internal echoes, solid septations, projections, papillae, fluid mixed echoes ). A complex cyst even less than 5 cm warrants removal, if persistent, and a simple cyst, larger than 5 cm warrants removal . To answer your question in one word - Yes, a 10 cm adnexal lesion should be removed. There are potential complications such as - internal bleeding, necrosis, infection, torsion, adhesion to surrounding structures etc. The lesion should be removed and sent for biopsy. Also, pre operatively, a CT scan and CA 125 levels should be done to know the risk of malignancy. Could you please upload the report of the ultrasound / CT scan / MRI which was done to diagnose this cystic lesion ? That would help me to be even more specific. Laparoscopic premoval should be aimed for. All the best. Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Should a 9.8 cm right adnexal cystic lesion be removed? 4 days later
Thank you for answering my question.....but I have another lol.....because of the size do you feel that a full hysterectomy will need to be done and also I'am 46 yrs old I've had two children ,I don't get a period ,it stopped completely 6yrs ago never has come back.....nothing no spotting just stopped I have not seen anything in 6yrs which is odd? I was 40 when I last had a period, if I do need a full hysterectomy I'm ok with that just so you know that side of this wouldn't affect me emotionally ......thanks Kelly
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes if you are already menopausal, a full hysterectomy is better for you. It is not odd, it is just an early menopause.