Should Synthroid dose be reduced incase o high TSH level?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hi, I am on Synthroid due the hypothyroidsm. My resent lab test TSH = 1.40, but freeT4 = 25.7 ( higher than normal range). Does that mean I should go on lower dose of Synthroid? Thanks.
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Definitely. Detailed Answer: Dear user, Hi! though you have not told me your dose and body weight still as per your reports you must reduce the present dose by 25% and repeat test after 6 weeks and let me know. regards.

Follow-up: Should Synthroid dose be reduced incase o high TSH level? 2 hours later
My body weight is 141 lb, and now I am on synthroid 88. Six months ago i was on Synthroid 75, but my TSH was 3,28. I would like to keep it under 2.

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 2 hours later
Brief Answer: continue with 75 + 6.25 Detailed Answer: dear Ma'm, Hi! you have over dosing with 88 and under dosing with 75 so make it 81.25 or make 75 every day with strict empty stomach and another 30 min fasting post tab protocol. Thanks!

Follow-up: Should Synthroid dose be reduced incase o high TSH level? 9 hours later
Hi , thank you, but it is not easy to get 6.25 dose over here. I didn't do the freeT3 test. If that will be in normal range, do you think I can continue with 88 and monitor it. I always take Synthroid on empty stomach and have even longer than 30 min fasting after till I have a breakfast. Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 10 hours later
Brief Answer: FT3 is not significant Detailed Answer: FT3 has not much role, you need not be worried about it. You will get 12.5 mcg tab; you can take half of it. Regards!

Follow-up: Should Synthroid dose be reduced incase o high TSH level? 13 hours later
Thanks, I will for now stay on 88, as it was always OK and do retest in few week again with freeT4 and free T3 as well. We do not have that small dose here, in Canada it is smallest 25. I do not have any symptoms of hyperthyroidism. But more like hypothyroidism - intolerance to cold, slagish… Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 11 hours later
Brief Answer: good idea. Detailed Answer: Dear user,I agree with your idea of repeating the test after 6 weeks and reviewing the case. Just a peace of information , being hyperthyroid biochemically and not feelings the symptoms does not mean you should allow it to happen. subclinical hyperthyroidism negatively affects bones, heart, blood sugars, and other metabolism as well. regards!