Should I be worried about persistent swollen gland under chin and chest infection?

ENT Specialist
HI, the gland under my chin has been quite swollen lately, in particular after i eat it feels like a golf ball and is noticeable. After a while after eating it does die down a liitle but is still quite large compared to the other side. I am worried that is something serious. I have had this in the past, first time was about 10 years ago after eating spicy mexican it blew write up but went back to normal after a while. I again had issues about 5 years ago, where the same a this time, when i eat it swells up rock hard, then after a while the swelling goes reduces but the gland feels aways enlarged more than the other, since then it has only played up from time to time. A few weeks ago I had a bit of a chest infection for wich i saw a GP and he noted at the time my gland was enlarged but put it down to the chest infection. After a coarse of antibiotics the chest infection has cleared up but the gland issue has become persistant. Is this something that will subside or is it something i need to take seriously.
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: It can be salivary duct stone or calculus Detailed Answer: Hello, Your salivary gland swells with meals , this is a typical complaint of some blockage in the salivary duct. This happens when we see food and eat , there is stimulation of the salivary gland to secrete saliva which drains inside the mouth through a duct. Its because of blockage of this duct that the gland swells and you feel it on your neck. There can be a small stone inside the salivary duct. You should consult your ENT specialist and he can tell you after examination if there is any stone or not as it will be palpable at the floor or mouth from inside the mouth. Then you can get a X ray done to confirm it, if required. The treatment is removal of the stone . In your case it seems that you may require surgical removal. This is a small surgery . Or if the facility of Sialendoscopy is available then there can be non surgical removal. You should consult and discuss with your doctor. In doubt do reply.