Sharp pain in armpit and numbness under shoulder blade. Early symptoms of lymphoma or lung cancer?

Neurologist, Surgical
I have sharp shooting pain that comes and goes in my left armpit as well as a "numbness" on my left back under shoulder blade. I was fighting a cold for a few week and then came down with a cold and am now recovering but have never felt anything like this before. Just want to rule out the possibility of erly symptoms of lymphoma or lung cancer
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later

The symptoms you have just described occurring after viral fever or common cold may be a start of herpes zoster infection. Watch out for small vesicles appearing in the area. If they appear, you may have to start antiviral drugs. If not, you can get MRI dorsal spine to rule out nerve root compression and find out its cause.

The symptoms does not look like any presentation of lymphoma or lung cancer. But it can be confirmed or ruled out only after a proper physical examination and appropriate investigations such as a chest x-ray. So it is best that you get examined by your family physician.

Hope this answers your concern. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you.