Sexual intercourse, broken condom, on birth control pills, UTI antibiotics. Effects on pill ?

Question
My wife and I were having sex 2 days ago and the condom i was using broke. She is on the pill and takes it every day at 6. However she was on a course of UTI antibiotics. She finished the course 5 days before this mishap but we still wanted to check and be sure how this may have affected the effectiveness of the pill??
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

Antibiotics decrease birth control pill efficacy but there are very few medications as anti tubercular,anti seizure medications which have a major effect.If she has been taking the pills regularly everyday without missing a single pill possibility of pregnancy is very rare.Also she had finished the course about 5 days back.
Ask her to continue the pills as she has been taking it.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.