Severe pain in the foot after an injury. Taking fentanyl patches. Chances of fracture?

Just dropped an old box shaped huge stereo on my foot ( the kind that have 4 cd changer tape and radio in it) anyways it hurts it's throbning and I feel like I'm going to pass out. I'm on fentanyl patches so when I feel pain my family freaks out. But I hate hospitals and want to know if it's even possible to fracture a bone from a 30lb "box" falling on my flat foot?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

It is not clear when did the actual incident happened.

A 30 lb box has a potential to cause a fracture, an undisplaced one, in a 20 yr female with Ehlers danlos.

Do you see upcoming swelling or tenderness over the area of hurt?

If you have tenderness, swelling there is a high chance of the bone fractured. In such a case it is advised to check with the local doctor who can order an Xray.

Meantime if it is recent injury, cold pack for 10 minutes over the swelling helps. It is tough to arrive at the best medicine for pain in a person who uses fentanyl patches. In any case a visit to nearby urgent clinic seems is a logical explanation.

Hope this answers the query.