Severe pain in joints and both knees are replaced. Trouble in sleeping. Took norco but not effective. Cure for joint pain?

I am a female, aged 79, and weighing 270 pounds. I have never gotten a positive test for diabetes, so I doubt if it is that. I have extreme pain in the joints and have had both knees replaced. I have so much pain in my back and legs that I have great trouble sleeping or having any quality of life at all. I have been on Prolia for about three years for my osteoporosis, and that has improved the bones that are scanned for the osteoporosis test. I have recently changed doctors, and my new doctor held off giving me a Prolia shot when it was due, so it has been about a year since I got one. Do you know any possible treatment for my joint pain? I take Norco, which formerly helped but now is not very effective. I cannot take Advil, Aleve, etc. because they cause severe inflammation in my digestive tract. Can you help?
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Specific COX 2 blockers

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your query. There is a special group of antiinflammatories similar to Aleve and Advil, but with the great advantage that they do not affect the stomach, and effectively relieve inflammation; they are specific COX 2 blockers. The best example currentky available is celecoxib, which is once daily, for those bad days when you are in pain. That is the medication that I recommend to patients when the stomach cant tolerate others.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN