Suggested Celebrex for pinched nerve. Safe?

One doctor suggested Celebrex for my pinched nerve, my cadiologist told me not to take it because of my AFIB (on warfrin 1mg) & high BP.. So am not going to take it because of the danger of bleeding & cardiac threat of heart attack & stroke.. Do you agree?
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I agree with your cardiologist and you.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.

I completely agree with your cardiologist in recommending you not to take celebrex for the pinched nerve, and I appreciate your resolve and compliance to your cardiologists advise.

Celebrex is a bleeding inside the gut, heart attacks and stroke and has been withdrawn from many markets internationally. Since you are already on warfarin it is best not to take any medicine that can make you bleed.

There are other alternative pain medications which can be used in a case like yours, and if the intention treating pinched nerve is to relieve pressure around the nerve then one can go for a very short course of steroids.

I sincerely hope this information is helpful to you. Please do write back if you have nay more queries or doubts.

Follow-up: Suggested Celebrex for pinched nerve. Safe? 10 minutes later
Thank you for getting back to me.
You mentioned there are other meds that could be used instead of the Celebrex.
Could you give their names so that I could talk to my cardiologist about them.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steroids are an option.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs XXXXX,

Thanks for writing back.

As I mentioned in my earlier answer steroids are an option,

Second option is Gabapentin or Pregabalin, these have good pain relieving properties for nerve conditions.

Please do discuss these options with your cardiologist before you go further.

I hope this answers your question.

Follow-up: Suggested Celebrex for pinched nerve. Safe? 7 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX D...
I take 600 mg of Gabapentin now, for neuropathy from chemo.. I will mention the steroid option though..
Thanks for the suggestion ..
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Mrs. XXXXX,

Its my pleasure to be of some help. Yes you could pursue the a short course steroid option in consultation with your cardiologist.

Take care,

Warm regards.