Severe cough and cold, blood in the stool. High eosinophil count in blood test. Advice?

I've had severe cough (used to cough continously for 3 to 4 mins) and cold.
Now after medication both cough and cold are manageable. family doc told me for blood test and chest x XXXXXXX
He said, everything's normal except Eosinophils count of 12 is worrying.
Now, I pass blood only once daily in morning's cough and stools

Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 3 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

From your history, I understand that you had suffered from Tuberculosis (TB) 6 years back and now had an episode of cough and hemoptysis (blood in cough). The hemoptysis is controlled currently. You also have complaint of blood in stools.

From your history, I would like to comment the following:

1. The diagnostic possibilities at this stage could be.

a. Lung involvement as a sequelea to previous episode of TB which is causing hemoptysis.
b. Parasitic infection in the form of tropical pulmonary eosinophilia which is taken care of by TB. Continue Banocide forte (DEC) as directed by your physician.
c. If the previous episode of TB was not confirmed, then your lung involvement needs further evaluation.

2. After completion of a course of Banocide, you can redo your eosinophil counts.

3. For blood in cough, an addition of a cough supressant syrup and Ethamsylate under Physician's supervision will help you.

Also I would like to ask a couple of questions at this stage:

1. How was the previous TB diagnosed (On X-RAY/ CT scan or sputum examination)?
2. Also I would like to know, if your X-RAY chest was done currently? If yes, then what were the findings?

Hope, I have answered your questions. Please do let me know the details so that the clear picture of your condition can be arrived at.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Severe cough and cold, blood in the stool. High eosinophil count in blood test. Advice? 15 hours later
Dear Sir,

Thanks for the quick reply.

1 Ans. Previous TB was diagnosed by chest X XXXXXXX from local lab and sputum test from Ranbaxy Lab.
2. Ans. My current chest X XXXXXXX (dated 15 Dec 2011) says, everthing's normal except bronchial congestions.

My family doctor has said, if the blood doesn't stop after Banocide Forte course then again, I've to go to the earlier chest specialist, Dr. Rupavate, Mulund(W), Mumbai.

six more tablets are remaining and still blood comes in small quantity compared to before.(only once in morning cough).

These are the current body stats:
Weight: 73 kgs.
Height: 5 11"
Physique: Good, muscular with no fats around.
and my appetite is very good as I've started weight training regularly for the past 10 days.

One more quick history: this same symptoms happened last year too.
I just don't want this to recurr every year.

Please Help.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Since, now you are having a complaint of hemoptysis with an apparently normal chest X XXXXXXX and are not responding to medications, I suggest that you visit you chest specialist who might now want you to get evaluated by Bronchoscopy & CT Thorax along with some blood investigations. Bronchiectasis is a common cause of hemoptysis as per your clinical picture. However, you need to get yourself evaluated in detail as I have mentioned above.

Hope I have answered your question. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra